Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Mom and Baby

Ok, so Mom and Baby, finally...

After Savannah was delivered, and we fed her for the first time and she met grandparents and her uncle Daniel, we were taken to our room in Mom and Baby. We got to our room at about 2 in the morning. By the time we got there, Dave and I were exhausted, it had been a very long day. Because I had been induced due to high blood pressure, the nurses hooked me up to a blood pressure monitor and set it up to take my blood pressure through the night. After I was hooked up to the machine, they gave Savannah her first bath. She hated it, and she screamed nearly the whole time. The only thing she liked was when they washed her back with the sponge.
We finally were able to go to sleep at about 2:30. The sleep was greatly appreciated and needed, but made a bit more difficult by the blood pressure cuff measuring my blood pressure every half hour. Savannah slept really well, only waking up and fussing a tiny bit once, but when I rocked her crib a little she went right back to sleep.
At 6:00, an alarm woke me up. The blood pressure machine's battery was dying and it was beeping to let everyone know. I called the nurse and she came in and turned it off then checked on both me and the baby. We were both doing fine.
Around 11, we had our first visitors of the day, but definitely not the last. We had visitors in and out all day. Savannah met a ton of great people in her first day of life. I think we had a small break for about an hour with no visitors, but there were definitely people showing up to let Savannah know she was loved and welcome her into the world!
After the visitors, Dave and I both went to sleep. We crashed and I don't remember much about that night at all. The next morning we had a few visitors, but we had a lot more time to ourselves to get to know our baby and adjust to her. At about 3 that day, we left to come home. And that was fantastic!

No comments: