Sunday, February 04, 2007

Church today

Ok. So first off I have a question. Because it was posed to me today and I feel that I'm somewhat too close to the people involved in the situation to give an unbiased response. So I want to know what everyone else thinks!

Today, during sacrament meeting, my friend Chauntay pulled me out of the meeting to sign a card for our young women's leader who had been released. And then she said she had a question for me. So this is the situation:

On Wednesday night, our mutual was to tie quilts. I didn't go. But Chauntay did. She'd never tied a quilt before and didn't understand when this kid Alex was trying to teach her how so she was sitting around a quilt talking to people and socializing while they tied. Then a leader came over to her and Carly (who also wasn't tying a quilt) and told them that Since they weren't doing anything they should "sit over there and look pretty" while pointing to the stage.

Maybe it's just Tay, Carly, and me. But that came off as very rude to me. I would think that a leader should never say something like that to a youth. And the way Chauntay took it, it was basically that leader telling her that she wasn't good enough to be in her presence. I'm not sure that's what the leader meant really, but the way it came across was bad enough.

So they went and were sitting on the stage. And no one invited them back. They left the group and normally in our ward when someone leaves they make you come back. You never have the option of being by yourself but no one said anything to them.

So then they started passing out refreshments. Nothing big really just a small ice cream treat but a different leader was handing them out and came over to Chauntay and Carly and told that that she guessed they could have one even though they hadn't done anything.

So here's my question. Would you consider that mean? Chauntay left never wanting to go back to a mutual activity or church again. Do you think she took things too literally and is over reacting? She did come back to church but she says she has no interest in talking to either of those leaders. And I personally don't blame her. But I want to know what other people think.. What would you do?

And now to fast and testimony meeting. My sunday school teacher was the first one up to bear his testimony and as always, issued a challenge to his class to bear their testimony. But this time he issued a bribe to get us to go up. He had made this bribe last week I guess and I knew nothing about it because I haven't been at church since Christmas Eve.. That's awful.

Anyway, I really didn't know anything about this bribe and I had been planning on going up and bearing my testimony regardless because of events that have happened that have reaffirmed my testimony in the church. Almost all of the youth got up to bear their testimony though.

My sunday school teacher was sitting on the bench in front of me and leaned back to whisper to me what the bribe was. but I told him I didn't want to know because I wanted to go up of my own free will and not go up because I wanted whatever it was he was bribing with us.

So I went up and bore my testimony, starting out by letting everyone know that I was up there for me and not for Josh's bribe. And then I bore my very simple testimony. That I know the LDS church is the true church. And that even though it had taken me a long time I finally knew it for myself.

That was it. So I just want all of you to know. That I know it's true. And that's the main point of this post.

What I didn't count on in bearing my testimony to my ward is that I would make my mom cry! As I walked back down to my seat my mom and my young women's leader were crying. That was unintentional.

Anyway it turns out that Josh's bribe was a super bowl party. And I think I'll end up going over there later. Probably before fourth quarter or something. Because Ashley made cupcakes! Yummy!

Anyway. yeah. that's the end.

2 comments:

The Warrior said...

It's downright mean, in my opinion.

I was the victim of a similar situation when I was kicked out of church once. Another time I got in big trouble....

I'm on her side here.

Lydia said...

Well, I think she should still go back, because church is about more than the leaders. I don't, however, think that the leader was in the right in that case. She definitely could have been more tactful.nice about it.