Saturday, March 10, 2007

Sydney, a birthday, and surgery

Wow, I haven't posted in a while. So mostly this is just going to be a pretty quick update.

Sydney got out of the ICU last friday after I posted and is doing quite well. I think she went back to school yesterday. She'll be fine. Which is good.

And as to what happened to her:

They were up at the high school Thursday night and she was sitting on the trunk of her car. Little Tyler was sitting in the drivers seat with the car running and decided he wanted to learn how to drive a stick. He popped the clutch and she fell onto the ground slamming her head into the concrete. Which fractured her skull. She started puking so they ran into the school to let the teachers and the police officer on duty know. But neither of them cared. Sydney was out there puking up blood for at least 45 minutes before any teachers would leave their parents to check on her.

Tyler called her mom and told her mom, but Sydney wasn't backing up his story. According to Sydney, she didn't fall and she didn't hit her head she just didn't feel good and was throwing up.

When Sydney woke up in the ICU and they asked her where she was she told them she was at the high school. When they explained to her that she was in the ICU they asked her if she knew why she was there and she said she must have driven herself there because she just didn't feel good.

She doesn't remember any of the accident. Her mom said she feels bad grounding Sydney for something she doesn't remember but that she'll get over that guilt fairly easily.

Tuesday was my birthday. And my was it ever fun! First a person made it really special on what was monday for me. But tuesday for them. Then at 11:59 PM My Andie friend called me and we were on the phone as it ticked over to midnight making it officially my birthday. At almost exactly midnight, Spencer emailed me wishing me happy birthday. And at 12:00:33 my sister called and was pretty upset that she was the 4th person to wish me happy birthday ON the day of my birthday. It was great though. What a great way to ring in my birthday.

Then I woke up and got ready for school and state DECA. I went to my first period and they signed happy birthday to me. It was fun. Then I sluffed seminary and Amy and I watched Bourne Identity at her house and we started the Bourne Supremacy but we stopped it to go eat lunch at Panda Express. Oh man! That was yummy. I love panda.

Then we came back and went to Smith's class and to part of Crowther's class before going back to Amy's house to grab some games to play while we were in provo that we never actually ended up playing.

And then it was on the bus to go to Provo. We spent most of the trip up talking to each other and Kirt. When we got up there, we got a LOT of questions about the cake. (Amy and I snuck a little frosting off the top before anyone else got any..)

And we went to Albertson's because Kirt decided he wanted to make it a big party. So he got candy and chips and soda (I still have that candy and chips in my room.. not like I can eat it now!)

After taking the test we went to dinner at some place that I can't remember the name of. But oh man it was DELICIOUS. Like seriously, super super yummy. And we did "pop shots" which is where someone sucked some lemonade in mine and amy's case or pepsi in kirts up in a straw and blew it into the other person's mouth. It was absolutely hilarious. I had a great time.

So we ended up in our room with Jorge and Nic and Zach (ooooh Amy... ;-) ) and Tamara and a bunch of other Kearns people for my birthday. And I had to blow on the candles with two breaths. So apparently I'm getting married twice. (Amy! What about a renewal of my vows?! Does that count as twice?!)

Then we went and sat in the hall with some Bingham kids to try and get them to come eat some cake because we had seriously a LOT of cake left over. And somehow we got on the subject of Bulimia and this girl Alex was like "Ew! How'd we get on the subject of bulimia anyway? Bulimia is gross... [pause] ... MY AUNT WAS BULIMIC ONCE! She threw up in her hands. And then. She put it in her hair. And then she was like "ew! Someone threw up on me!" " That was absolutely hilarious. Kirt Amy and I now have it as our new thing. We look at each other and go "My aunt was bulimic once!" Which is totally awful to make fun of, but seriously! Who didn't laugh at that?

Then we said something about pop shots and no sooner had the words "pop shots" left my mouth than all the kids from Bingham looked and me and gasped. So that was our other thing. POP SHOTS?! *gasp*

We ended up giving the rest of the cake away in the lobby to the people who would sing happy birthday to me. So I got a LOT of people to sing happy birthday to me. And I made the same wish about a billion times on the candles that Kirt kept relighting for people to sing to me with.

Then we finally went back to the room and Kirt tried to shoot skittles into our mouths from his. It didn't work out so well. I think he got one in Amy's. But he only hit my tooth and made it hurt a lot. It was fun though.

And then finally at 11 at night, Kirt told me happy birthday for the first time all day. He has some weird superstition that if you don't tell the person happy birthday between midnight and 1 or 11 and midnight it's bad luck.. Which I think is odd. But at like 11:10 Kirt started texting me happy birthday and he called and said happy birthday too.

Thanks to everyone who wished me happy birthday! You guys are all the greatest. I lovers you all!

So that was my birthday. Great fun. Had a blast in Provo with my bestest friend ever. Oh! And we got another quote too!

We went to Smith's and we bought a half gallon of double fudge chunk brownie or something ice cream. And we were sitting in the hall way of this hotel eating the ice cream with our two spoons and this guy walked by and said "Now that is the highest form of life. Two friends, a half gallon of ice cream, and two spoons. It doesn't get any better than that." And really, it doesn't. Amy and I rock. Let me tell you.

And then came yesterday. Something I was absolutely terrified for. I had to be at the hospital at 6 am for surgery to get my tonsils taken out. Not a fun surgery. I don't recommend it. Getting the IV in my hand was the scariest part though. I'm not a big fan of needles. They put some numby stuff in my hand though so I didn't even feel it when they stuck the needle in. Then they wheeled me into the operating room. And they let me keep my blanket and my stuffed animal with me. They took my blanket off and gave me some super super warm blankets though. And then they told me they were going to put some gooey electical thingys on me to monitor my heart rate and that is absolutely the last thing I remember.

Until I woke up in recovery. And some guy kept saying "How are we doing Sunshine! Do we know where we are today?" Let me tell you, trying to talk right after you get your tonsils taken out is not fun. I didn't actually know where I was, but I took a guess and said recovery. Which was about all I could choke out. Then that man made me eat some chips of ice, and that felt amazing. My throat is really sore.

Then they took me into a curtained room so my mom and dad could be with me. And then I got to go home at about 10. So we ended up home around 10:45 although, I don't really remember that either. I remember my mom waking me up to make me drink more gatorade, eat a pudding, or a popsicle, and give me medicine a couple times.

And now here I sit, still really sore. But, good news! It's time for more medicine. Hooray! That stuff knocks me out though. I'm not sure I like that part.. But I like it not hurting anymore.

So there's your update.

Later!

17 comments:

Courtney said...

happy birthday again, gorgeous!

we all love you!

i hope you get feeling better from you surgery. i owe you a jamba! :D

love you lots!

Nathan said...

Happy birthday (again)! ^_^

And surgery... that sucks. But it sounds like everything went fine, so I'm glad. :-) Get better soon, Steph!

And you gotta love those super super warm blankets. 8-)

Stephanie said...

Thanks guys!

Court- I still have jamba in my freezer from Ashley! But I'll let you know when I finally finish it so you can bring me one ;-)

Nathan- The surgery itself wasn't too bad. I don't remember any of it though. It's this recovery part that stinks. My mouth looks ENTIRELY disgusting.

And yeah.. Those blankets were AMAZING.

The Warrior said...

What's bad about your mouth?

And I didn't know you liked getting that email so much....:-P

My dad likes the Bourne series, so I've seen the first one. (The fight scene in his apartment is very well done I think, reminds me of The Warrior.) The second one, however, I have only seen a part of. I couldn't even stomach it.

Anyways, loved reading all that, so thanks!

Spencer

The Warrior said...

P.S. Drink some juice!

The Warrior said...

Okay, last one.

To echo Courtney:
Happy birthday again, gorgeous!

Stephanie said...

It's nasty looking Spencer! The inside of it is coated in a nasty gray film. Tastes horrible. Smells even worse. And no matter how many times I brush my teeth, my breath is STILL going to stink. I'm actually drinking lots of gatorade Spencer. So don't worry. I'll heal.

I do get to miss the whole week of school though. My mom's already excused me from it all.

And thanks again Spencer.

The Warrior said...

You're welcome. Hope you get better soon! Take care of yourself for me!

Stephanie said...

Ok. I will. Taking care of myself is my number one priority right now. That. And sleeping. I'll try and get better super quick though.

Courtney said...

good, cuz we miss you! :D

The Warrior said...

I miss you too!

We all love you, Steph!

jane said...

steph that was awsome! and it doesn't get any better cuz we do rock!! :D luv ya hon. and yeah, zach's a cutie! :D lol

The Warrior said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

Gah! I hate this stupid thing. I just had a whole comment typed and it "could not be processed" LAME.

Anyway.

Spencer- I know that deleted comment was from you. It made me giggle I don't know why you deleted it.

Amy- Yeah, he's a cutie. But he's in trouble. I might just have to kick him really hard when I get out of this house. I loveeeeeeeeeeeerz youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

And Courtney- I miss you too! Don't worry, I'll be up and about by Friday. I hope. My mom's not liking that idea so much...

The Warrior said...

It was me, for the reasons I stated on Amy's blog. I said "And a jerkie." because Amy said "he's a cutie"--sorry to clog your comment page up. ;-P

And the processing thing has been happening to you too?

Unknown said...

HAPPY BRITHDAY!

i'm glad to hear thet Sydney is better. best wishes. :)

The Warrior said...

Oh, hello again, Ashley!