Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 15 - Modern Medicine

Today, I am very grateful for modern medicine. And for the advancements in technology that we have made. I have a friend whose sister was in a pretty bad accident, but because of some of the advancements and technology that we have she is, while still in pretty bad shape, doing much better than she would have been. I'm grateful that the doctors are there and are doing what they can to help her be comfortable and healthy.

And I know I've said this one before, but I am truly grateful and blessed to have the friends I do. I am grateful for each and every one of them and I don't know what I would do without them. I'm also insanely grateful to have a beautiful talented mother, and a wonderful mother-in-law who are always willing to listen to me and just lend their ears and wisdom.

And lastly for today, because I don't think I've ever actually written it down though the words have been in my head multiple times, I am incredibly grateful for my own dad, and my father-in-law. I'm grateful that my dad is a "jack of all trades, master of none" especially when it means he can help us save money by teaching us how to do something ourselves that we would have had to pay someone else to do otherwise. I resented when he would make me do things myself as a teenager, but looking back on it now I wouldn't have it any other way. I am incredibly independent because he taught me that I don't need to have someone else do everything for me, but I never lost my dependence on other people, and that I feel is something truly special about me.

And I am SO grateful for my father-in-law. Even though we don't always see eye to eye, in fact I'd wager a lot of times (more than half the time) we don't. I am grateful that he was there for us right after I found out I had miscarried. I'm grateful that he let me just cling to him and cry, and that he brushed off the snot all over his shirt as no big deal, even though to me it was. I'm grateful every day for his love and support of Dave and I, even if I am slow to say it. I'm grateful that he is there for me EVERY time I go to have blood drawn, and that he always makes the good ones draw my blood because he knows how much I hate needles. And I am grateful that he hides the good chocolate that he keeps in his office for after the blood draws, and that he always has a smile and a game for Savannah.

Seriously, I feel like one of the luckiest girls alive.

No comments: